Almond milk is definitely my favorite milk substitute. I usually purchase unsweetened almond milk (whatever is on sale, I don’t really have a certain preference) but on occasion I like to buy whole almonds and make my own homemade almond milk. The process is super easy and prep time is very short (if you exclude the overnight soaking).
How to make homemade almond milk
In order to make about 1 liter of almond milk, you will need 1 cup of soaked almonds. Take your batch of almonds and put in closed container with water (it doesn’t matter how much, just make sure the almonds are covered with water). Store in fridge overnight. The almonds will absorb the water and become somewhat soft.
The next step is to drain the almonds from the water, then put the almonds in a high-speed blender, together with “new” filtered water and date sauce and/or vanilla extract (optional). Blend for at least 1 minute (preferably 2). Look at that thick and frothy almond milk!
Strain the liquid using a cloth or strainer over a bowl, so that the milk will remain pulp-free. The almond meal/pulp that is left can be stored for a week in the fridge and used for desserts. Squeeze the cloth a bit firmly to make sure all liquid is transferred to the bowl.
That’s it! Store the almond milk in a glass container or bottle in the fridge, for up to 1 week. I use almond milk in my matcha lattes, coffee, chia pudding, smoothies or an occasional granola bowl. It’s also super tasty to drink as is!
Homemade Almond Milk
Easy homemade almond milk made with simple ingredients. You will need a blender for this recipe.
- 1 cup dry almonds
- 4 cups water to cover almonds overnight
- 4 cups water to use in blender
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tablespoon date honey (or 2 pitted dates)
- pinch salt
- Step 1 Soak almonds overnight in water
- Step 2 Strain almonds from water and put in blender
- Step 3 Add water, vanilla extract and date honey to blender and blend for 1 minute at least
- Step 4 Strain milk over bowl in strainer or cloth
- Step 5 Store milk in glass bottle or container